(Ferndale Schools, Sept. 18,2013)
On the morning of September 17, 2013, an FHS student reported being followed by a large white four-door car (possibly a Crown Victoria) by a white man in his 50s wearing a dark blue shirt. He had gray hair and blue eyes. This incident has been reported to the Ferndale Police who are investigating. Parents/Guardians and Students are asked to be extra vigilant in paying attention to their surroundings and report any knowledge of the suspect or this situation to the police at 248-541-3650.
Parents and guardians: Please remind children and young adults of the need to be cautious and attentive when on the streets of our communities, whether they are walking to and from school, or playing. First and foremost, if anyone observes a suspicious person, vehicle or circumstance, either around school or in the area, call the police immediately (911). It is also important that discussions take place between parents and children about how to handle suspicious incidents. Please remind your child of the following safety measures they can take:
- ~If someone is following a child in a car or is walking very close, teach your child to stay away from them, and run to the nearest house (preferably where someone they know is home) to ask for help.
- ~Do not talk to strangers or go near their car – even if they seem nice and say they have candy or a toy in the car.
- ~If someone tries to get a child to go with them, a good defense is to yell “This is not my father/mother!” and run away.
- ~Do not help strangers find their dog or cat or anything. Adults do not need children’s help.
- ~Always tell a parent or whoever is in charge at home where they are going and do not leave that location without getting an OK from parents or teachers at school.
- ~If someone tells your child “Don’t tell,” assure the child she or he should definitely report the incident to a trusted adult.
For more on Ferndale Schools go to www.ferndaleschools.org.